PAVILLON FOUQUET DE LA VARENNE

France > Pays de la Loire > Sarthe > 72200 > La Flèche

Early 17th century pavilion, last vestige of Guillaume Fouquet de la Varenne's castle.

Guillaume Fouquet de la Varenne, who became lord of La Flèche after Henri IV had granted him ownership, undertook the construction of a vast residence, probably based on the plans of Louis Métezeau, the King's architect. The castle leaned against the Grande Rue; in front of it were gardens crossed by a canal that joined the Loir. The courtyard of the castle was bordered by two pavilions, only one of which remains recently restored, and only testimony to the splendor of this house destroyed between 1817 and 1820. On the site of the outbuildings are now the beautiful houses that border the even side of the rue de la Tour d'Auvergne.

Les lieux touristiques dans un rayon de 10 kms.

A proximité:

Datatourism data updated on: 2024-01-25 00:48:31.762