La cathédrale Notre-Dame

France > Hauts-de-France > Nord > 59400 > Cambrai > Avenue de la Victoire

Built between 1696 and 1702, the cathedral is a fine example of the classical religious architecture of the time of Louis XIV.

The church and the guest house, which has housed the post office since 1911, belonged to the Abbey of the Holy Sepulchre, founded in the 11th century. Between 1696 and 1702, under the episcopate of Fénelon, the complex was rebuilt in the classical style advocated by Louis XIV. It presents a great homogeneity. The sobriety of the decoration contrasts with the exuberant baroque façade of the Jesuit chapel that faces it. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre was designated as the new cathedral by Bishop Louis Belmas in 1804 after the destruction of the Gothic cathedral during the Revolution. Burned in 1859, it was restored by the architect Henri de Baralle who added the bell tower. Among the works of art preserved there are the trompe l'oeil paintings made in 1745 by the Antwerp painter Martin Geeraerts and the icon of Our Lady of Grace, venerated in Cambrai since 1492.

Les lieux touristiques dans un rayon de 10 kms.

A proximité:

Datatourism data updated on: 2023-12-15 03:00:43.231